20080222

EA's Boom Blox to include Wiimote Headtracking

Louis Castle announced yesterday at GDC2008 that EA's upcoming title "Boom Blox" will ship with an easter egg that allows head-tracking using the Wii remote! Very cool. Here's the Digg article someone created for it - which you should all digg to help drum up some attention and demand for this feature. Reward the developers who decided this was worth including and send a signal to EA and the greater game development community that this is a desired step forward in the evolution of game play technology. The expected release will be in May.

I'm proud. If this pans out, it'll be only 5 months between the initial research prototype to integration into a major product release. Sweet! Happy to see my stuff being used. Humorously, there were 3 other demos on the GDC expo floor showing variations of my head tracking demo. =o)

Just in case you are wondering: No, I don't get any royalties or benefits for the use of this technique in games. Personally, I'm much happier impacting the state of technology on such a large scale in such a short period of time rather than struggling to transform it into personal financial gain. In terms of my original intent behind creating the head-tracking demo, it has already been a wild success beyond my highest expectations.

Joystiq article

Digg article